James 4 closed with a discussion about planning for the future. James was writing to a group of people who expected great success in the future but warned them that the future is in God’s hands and they will see success only if it is His will. He calls them arrogant in their thinking.
James 5 continues addressing the wealthy and warning them about the follies associated with their wealth. It is not a condemnation of wealth itself but the folly that many have who are wealthy.
The chapter closes with a discussion on prayer which is focused on healing. James goes beyond just the physical healing that is often prayed for and moves into the realm of spiritual healing as well.
- James 5:1-3 – Wisdom with Wealth
- James 5:4-6 – Fair Wages
- James 5:7-8 – Patience in Suffering
- James 5:9 – Judgment
- James 5:10-11 – Suffering Prophets
- James 5:12 – Swearing
- James 5:13 – Prayer and Praise
- James 5:14-15a – Prayers of Faith
- James 5:15-16 – Spiritual Healing
- James 5:17-18 – The Power of Prayer
- James 5:19-20 – Returning to the Truth